Two-Day Ballet Tutu Boned Bodice Course, London
Duration: 14 hours
Class times: 10am - 6pm
Course tutor: Amanda Hall
Booking procedure: Click the course date at the bottom of the page to put the course into your shopping basket, then follow the steps indicated to complete payment to guarantee a space.
This course is aimed at those wishing to make a classical ballet bodice. It covers construction techniques and offers design guidance and suggestions for decorating the costume. Although suitable for dance, this fitted bodice has much less constraint than a corset, so the techniques learnt on this course can be easily applied to a more comfortable fashion outfit such as bridalwear and decorative corsets. The course would also be useful for students who have done our Two-Day Tutu-Making Course and would like to complete their costume with a bodice.
Over the two days students will work towards making a 10-panel coutil-backed, boned ballet bodice. This will include:
- cutting and constructing a plain, piped bodice to a standard pattern
- instruction on adapting the block and fitting a toile
- instruction on how to attach the bodice to the tutu
- discussion and suggestions for decorating the finished tutu costume, including patterning the topskirt
Although Prescott & Mackay endeavour for each student to complete their bodice, this may not always be possible depending on each student's level of skills and the complexity of the decoration designs. Students will receive enough tuition and notes during the class to be able to decorate their tutu and complete the whole costume at home.
Tutor, costume maker Amanda Hall, is a dancewear specialist and creates tutus for many dance companies including the Royal Ballet. Included in the price are specialist materials such as cotton coutil, piping cord, boning, casing for bones and elastics.
Things you need to bring with you:
- the fabric you wish to use as the top fabric for the bodice, including but not limited to: silk satin, dupion, taffeta, or brocade. It is important to use reasonable quality cloth to ensure a satisfactory finished garment. Please send a sample if you need guidance with this. Wash all the fabrics (if applicable) beforehand to prevent shrinking. Please click the Useful Links to view the supplier list about where to source leather or fabric
- the matching polyester and cotton thread to the colour of your top fabric
- cutting out scissors
- duvet or sheet to transport your tutu home
- hand sewing needles
- print-outs of images of finished tutus with the type of decoration you wish to create. The tutor will give you suggestions in the discussion session.
- decorations you wish to apply to your bodice or topskirt, such as lace, sequin, crystals, beads, feathers, and embroidery panels
- your finished tutu skirt on which you wish to attach the bodice
No previous tutu-making experience necessary. Basic hand and machine sewing skills will be an advantage.
Class maximum: 4 students
To view pictures of this class, click here
Want to get a prompt reply to your questions? If so, browse our Frequently Asked Questions
Can't find the answer to your question concerning this course? If so, send us your enquiry
See if there's any offer we are doing for this course, click here
Book this course